Archive for June 15th, 2012
For the past few weeks this, has been my go to make ahead breakfast. The oven toasted oats stays crunchy even layered on yogurt overnight. The blueberry sauce is helping us use up the rest of our 2011 frozen blueberries to make room for the upcoming 2012 crop.
The blueberry sauce, lasts up to a month refrigerated and the oven toasted oats can be stored in an air tight container.
Oven toasted oats:
- Spread the oats on an ungreased baking sheet. Make a thin layer to ensure that they roast evenly. (I use whole rolled oats)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the oats for 15 minutes or until they turn tan and have a strong, nutty aroma. Use the spatula or spoon to stir the oats occasionally, to prevent scorching and ensure even toasting.
Blueberry sauce recipe
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Mix well. In a small saucepan, bring blueberry mixture to a boil. Add vanilla and stir just before turning the stove off, cool and chill.
For more Foodie Friday fun and recipes visit Rattlebridge Farm